Skip to main content

Uncovering "The Hidden Heir": Secrets, Challenges, and Triumphs with Samuel Lockwood

 

Meet the Author

Samuel Lockwood is on the cusp of releasing his debut novel, The Hidden Heir, on May 4th, 2024. In this interview, we explore Samuel's writing journey, his approach to storytelling, and the story behind his new book.




At what point did you decide to be an author, and what was your path to publication?

"My path to publication was a long one. I’ve always been interested in writing, but I didn’t decide I wanted to publish a book until a few years ago. Originally, this book started out as a screenplay. After drafting that, I decided that it fit better as a novel. From start to finish, it took nearly three years due to all the different variations, but I'm very happy with the finished product."

Describe your writing process. Do you outline, plot, and plan, or is your writing more organic?

"It’s definitely a mix of both. I had a general outline of what was going to happen in the story, but I didn’t plot everything out from the start. I would say that my writing is more organic; I just write and see where the story takes me. I don’t like restricting myself to a certain storyline based on how I 'think' it should go. I prefer to let the story develop on its own."

What’s your writing software of choice?

"I like using Google Docs. It’s quick and easy, and I’m very familiar with the platform from my corporate job. For screenwriting, I primarily use Celtx."

How do you manage time to write while working in the corporate world?

"It can definitely be challenging. In the last month leading up to my book's release, I had a very hectic schedule, finding the balance between work and writing. This past month, I worked from about 8:30 AM to 6:30 PM, and then I would write from about 8 PM to midnight. I would say the key is to find a balance that works for you. Even writing just one hour a day can help you make great strides. You can also use weekends to get more writing done."

When you are writing an emotionally draining scene, how do you get in the mood?

"When I’m writing those kinds of scenes, I take a deep breath and focus. Afterward, I usually take a thirty-minute break to recharge and reflect on what was just written. These scenes can be challenging, but they are also very rewarding."

What do you do to get inside your characters' heads?

"Since some of the characters were based on real people, I did a lot of research into their lives and tried to imagine how they would react to certain situations. For other characters, I developed them through the editing process and focused on understanding what drives each of them."

Have you ever experienced writer’s block? How did you deal with it?

"Yes, I have. I try to push through it by setting strict deadlines for myself on how many pages I want to write each day. This pressure helps me focus and get back into the groove."

What advice would you give to your younger self?

"Keep dreaming big and find ways to utilize your creativity."

What other authors are you friends with, and how do they help you become a better writer?

"I’m friends with a few screenwriters. Having different perspectives is helpful when writing a book. Bouncing ideas off other writers is critical, and having them review your work helps improve it."

What are some books or authors that you would recommend to our readers?

"My favorite book is Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. I also really enjoy The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini, although it’s quite graphic."

Share some advice for aspiring authors.

"Just go out and do it. Publishing a book can be scary, but it’s very rewarding. If you’re passionate about writing, set aside time each day to write, and see what happens."

Exploring The Hidden Heir

Samuel's debut novel, The Hidden Heir, is set to be released on May 4th, 2024. Here, we explore the inspiration behind the book and get a glimpse into the making of this intriguing story.

How did you get the idea for the book?

"I originally thought of this idea over seven years ago in a creative writing class in high school. My biggest inspiration for creating this story was reading The Da Vinci Code. I started imagining what would happen if JFK and Marilyn Monroe were connected."

How much research did you need to do for your book?

"There was a lot of research to ensure the story was accurate to the time period. I looked into different technologies, the old-school printing process, Marilyn Monroe's childhood, John F. Kennedy's assassination, and more. The research was critical, and my dad played a big role in reminding me to make sure the story was accurate."

Was it difficult to find a publisher?

"I opted for self-publishing from the start, so I didn't seek out traditional publishers. However, finding the right artist for my book cover was a challenge."

Who is your favorite character from your book and why?

"I’d say David is my favorite character because he has a lot of great values, and his development throughout the story was fun to write."

What is your favorite scene from the book?

"It’s hard to pick just one, but I really like the end scene where Clyde has breakfast with his family."

Which scene was the most difficult to write?

"The suicide scene near the end was the most challenging to write."

Which of the characters do you relate to the most and why?

"I probably relate most to Ken because I’m a writer, and we have similar values, although we're also quite different."

If you were to write a spin-off about a side character, which would you pick?

"A story about David’s dad would be interesting because we don't know much about him except through David's perspective."

What risks have you taken with your writing that have paid off?

"Writing the book itself was a big risk because I was more accustomed to screenwriting. I also took a risk by switching to the first person for one chapter, and I liked how it turned out."

If your book were made into a movie, which actors would play your characters?

"I've thought about it. For John F. Kennedy, Jackie Kennedy, and Marilyn Monroe, you'd need actors who resemble them. I think Tom Holland would make a good Clyde."

Message for your readers?

"Thank you for reading my book. I really hope you enjoyed it. If you're interested in reading more of my work, you can DM me on Instagram @samuel.c.lockwood."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Workshop: Week One

The book we shall be reviewing today is 'The Workshop: Week One' by esteemed author Matt Mills, the inaugural instalment in a captivating series comprising sixteen books. Notably, Mills demonstrates his exceptional writing skills by seamlessly merging four distinct forms of literary expression: prose, poetry, screenwriting, and playwriting. Mills is an accomplished graduate of New York University, where he focused his studies on music and writing, honing his craft to deliver a compelling narrative. 'The Workshop: Week One' introduces a dynamic ensemble of nine writers from diverse backgrounds, all enrolling in a Creative Writing in Various Media course. As the plot unfolds, the characters engage in a riveting competition to assert their creative prowess. Mills artfully employs dry humour and sarcasm in his narration, skillfully entertaining readers throughout. Moreover, his adept use of language resonates particularly well with the Gen Z demographic.  However, it is wor

The midnight library

  The book we would be reviewing today is, ' The midnight library ' penned by Matt Haig . It is a science-fictional novel suitable for all interested in parallel universes and multiverses.  Matt Haig is an English novelist and journalist. He is well known for his works like, 'How to stop time' , 'The girl who saved Christmas' and 'The boy called Christmas'. Grab your copy here The plot unfolds from Nora's viewpoint. Nora Seed feels her life is pathetic and decides to end it. She ends up in a library where it is always midnight, and time never flows.  The library is said to exist between life and death. All the choices you ever made or never made could lead you to a very different kind of lifestyle in the present day. Nora gets to live all the alternatives she never chose through the books in the library. She needs to pick the right one for her before the library collapses onto itself. Which one would Nora choose? Can she make it in time?  'It is